4 Designer Sneaker Cleaning Tips
It’s curious that most of us regularly launder or dry clean our shirts, pants, jackets, hats, suits, and more, but we almost never do any designer sneaker cleaning.
There are two basic reasons why people don’t clean their sneakers.
1. Footwear doesn’t lend itself to cleaning in a washing machine.
2.You just don’t dry-clean sneakers.
One of those reasons is true and one is false. Let’s look at the true one first.
DIY Designer Sneaker Cleaning Tips
Yes, it’s true, you should never put designer sneakers in the washing machine. Actually, you should never clean any sneakers in the washing machine because you could damage the machine. Designer sneaker manufacturers do not recommend cleaning your shoes in a washer or dryer or cleaning them using harsh products, like undiluted detergent or any sort of bleach.
With that in mind, here’s how you can try to clean your sneakers at home.
- Remove Laces & Soles – Before starting any cleaning, remove the shoelaces and inner soles if you can.
- Dry Brush – Using a soft-bristled shoe brush, remove dirt for the outer sole, midsole and uppers. If you don’t have a shoe brush, try a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Wash & Dry – After getting rid of loose dirt, apply a cleaning solution of warm water and a few drops of mild laundry detergent with a clean soft-bristle brush or cloth. Clean the outer sole and midsole and dry them with a soft cloth.With a clean brush or cloth, clean the uppers and blot them dry with a microfibre cloth.
- Wash Laces & Insoles – Rub the laces with the cleaning solution, then rinse and dry them with a soft cloth. Use a soft-bristled brush to clean the insoles and dry them with a soft cloth.
Designer Sneaker Cleaning at Parkers
The idea that you can’t clean your sneakers at the dry cleaners is a false one, at least if you let Parkers clean them using our Luxury Cleaner Premium Services.
We offer our exclusive luxury cleaning services for your high-end sneakers. Our expert team is trained and equipped to deliver the custom cleaning care that your sneakers need. We carefully inspect your shoes to determine the precise cleaning requirements and we take care to maintain the shoe’s shape and profile throughout the process.
That way, your sneakers are like the day they were bought.
For more specialized cleaning information, check out our recent article ‘Your Lululemon Repair & Cleaning Guide‘.